Monday, June 3, 2013

For loi19.com: Football's Next Star interview with Gavin Boyne

This interview was conducted for loi19.com as part of a series with players who appeared on the reality television programme Football's Next Star. It was published on the 03/06/2013 and can be seen in its original form here.

Football's Next Star is a reality television programme that aimed to find a talented young Irish footballer with the reward being a contract at Scottish Premier League club, Celtic FC.

Open trials were held at the AUL Complex, Dublin and University of Limerick. Thousands of hopefuls turned up for the trials and were put through a series of technical and physical tests to whittle the numbers down. The numbers were reduced to 20 players, all of whom moved on to play in a final trial match at Dublin's Aviva Stadium. From this trial, a final 10 players were selected to move over to Glasgow to train and play at the Celtic FC Academy.

In this series of interviews, we meet the players that made up that final 10 and have played in the Under-19 League of Ireland. This week we hear Gavin Boyne's story.

Name: Gavin Boyne

Age:
18

Club:
St. Patrick’s Athletic

Position:
centre-midfield

Club you support:
Chelsea

Nickname:
Gav


Questions and answers:

1.   In a few words, describe yourself as a footballer.

I’d call myself an attacking central midfielder who can take someone on. I’ve a good range of passing as well.

2.   Did you know any of the other lads at trials? If so, who?

The only lad I really knew was Joey who was on my team at Crumlin United.

3.  Can you tell us about your journey to the final 40? You scored a penalty en route to the Aviva trials. What were you thinking when you stepped up?

We [Joey and Gavin] went to the Limerick trials because we had training with our club on the day the of the Dublin trials. No one went to the ball for the penalty, so I took it as I thought they’d appreciate someone taking the responsibility. I didn’t feel any pressure, I was just thinking about putting it away. When they lined us up [to find out who made it to the final 40], it was nerve-wracking but when they called out my name I just felt relief and began thinking about playing at the Aviva, ‘cause it was pretty special.

4.  In this episode, you also mentioned that you had been across the water before at Man City and Burnley but that things hadn’t gone your way. Why do you think this was?

At the time when I went over for City, I was really young - only 13 or 14. It was just after the Kennedy Cup and I didn’t know what to expect, and it was the same with Burnley. But those experiences helped me and gave me confidence heading into this competition.

5.  How did you feel when you learned of your progression to the final ten? Your name was called first: did you think progression or elimination when this happened?

I couldn’t really put into words how I felt when I went through. In getting to the Aviva I thought I had a chance but actually getting told I made it through to the final ten was unbelievable. When they called my name first, I didn’t really know – I thought I was through because they called out the names of those who went through in the previous rounds, but I wasn’t sure so I just waited until they had called out the names of the others before reacting.

6.   Was there a long period between the final at the Aviva and travelling to Glasgow? Were you nervous in the interim?

The final in the Aviva was sometime in March and the flight to Glasgow was at the start of April, so it wasn’t that long. I think I would have been more nervous if I didn’t know Joey. We were talking to each other beforehand, wondering what to expect – obviously, we couldn’t wait to get over and get started, really.

7.   What was it like at Lennoxtown, Celtic’s training ground?

It was mad because we got to the airport and went straight to the training ground, and seeing the facilities that first time was incredible.

8.   How did you feel when Neil Lennon walked in during lunch on your first day?

We were having our lunch when he came in and half the first team came in as well, Anto Stokes and a few others. When he [Lennon] came in it was unreal, he just told us to do our best and enjoy ourselves at the same time. It was kind of intimidating!

9.  You went to see Celtic play a home match in your first week. How did seeing the first-team in action influence your attitude towards the competition?

It made us realise that we were all playing against each other to basically be a part of that squad in the future, so it definitely made us want it more.

10. In episode four, we see yourself and two of the other lads attempting to assemble goal-posts in the back garden. Who was the brains of the operation here?

Em, probably Kev, I think he was getting us through it!

11. In the same episode, you were made captain for the game against Queen’s Park. How did it feel to wear the armband?

To captain Celtic was one of the best feelings I’ve ever felt, it was amazing, what every boy dreams of. Obviously, the result could have been better but nobody can ever take that [captaining Celtic] away from me.

12. Gareth was substituted during the 4-2 defeat to Queen’s Park and he said afterwards that he felt you could’ve talked more as captain. How did you feel about this? Did it affect your friendship with him at all?

Ah no, I’m good at taking criticism, I think. I’m not a vocal player but I know I need to bring it into my game. When I heard it I didn’t take it as anything big. We’re good friends, we get on – it was just us trying to help each other improve.

13. In episode five, you were put in the danger zone after the defeat to Queen’s Park. How did this affect your mentality going into the Hibernian game?

Obviously it put a lot of pressure on me, but I felt I could deal with it. I expected it after the Queen’s Park game, but there’s pressure in every game – you just have to deal with it.

14. You met many people during your time at Celtic, from Neil Lennon to Pat Fenlon to Paddy Crerand to Shay Given. Of the various people you met, who do you think offered the best advice/was the most interesting to speak to?

I’d probably say Shay Given, definitely, because he was the one we spoke to most. He shared with us his experiences and setbacks and said that obviously we couldn’t all win it, so not to let it affect us if and when we were eliminated.

15. Of the stadia you visited which one would you most like to play in as a professional some day?

Celtic Park. When we went to the matches there the atmosphere was incredible, the fans lifted the roof off the place. I still hope to play there someday.

16. You seemed quite nervous during your interview with the evening Herald journalist in episode seven. How would approach that interview now with the experience behind you?

I’d approach it with more smart answers, definitely! The things I was saying, I was just digging a hole for myself. I’d take more time to think about it before speaking.

17. What did you make of the techniques employed by the Ajax academy?

We went over and they started off with the skill drills and they were explaining to us that they don’t really do fitness work – they just practice, practice, practice. Training with them was phenomenal because they’re all just so technically gifted.

18. Having made it to the final two, were you disappointed not to win the competition?

When I was told first, obviously I was. There was nothing else going through my head except winning. But when I got home, I realised that I’d have missed all this, being with my family, and I wouldn’t have completed my Leaving Cert so I’d have nothing to fall back on. So I wasn’t too disappointed in the end – just getting that far was a massive achievement.

19. How long were you in Scotland for? What was it like being away from friends and family?

I was there for the whole months of April. I’m not the homesick type but I rang my mam and dad every night and my friends a few nights, but I was never bored because the lads were always around the house. It didn’t bother me too much because it flew in.

20. What were the highlights of your time at Celtic?

Two things. The first wasn’t on camera, but it was when Henrik Larsson rang us before the first game [against Airdrie United] to wish us good luck. He’s an absolute hero! The second was the penalty shootout with Gareth at Celtic Park in front of 60,000 people. I scored two but Nicky Byrne saved my cheeky chip attempt!

21. How was the experience overall? In what way do you think it has influenced your development as a footballer?

I think I came back with more confidence and improved as a player, definitely, just with the quality of the training and the players I was playing with.

22. From what you sampled at Celtic, how does it compare to the LOI u19 league?

The u19 league isn’t far off it, the teams we faced over there in their 19s league are on a par with what we have here at home. There’s not a lot of difference in the quality and the intensity is what I’d expect to find here as well.

23. Have you kept in touch with many of the lads?

Well obviously Joey because he’s in my school. I’ve been onto Gareth to see how he’s getting on over there and the other lads are in my league, so I’d see them often enough. I’ve kept in touch with Paddy the most, probably. We were on the Irish Schools team together in March and came second in the Centenary Shield. We needed Wales to beat Northern Ireland and we had to beat England to win the tournament, but we drew 2-2 and Northern Ireland beat Wales, so Northern Ireland won. I enjoyed the experience, though, and it was good to play alongside Paddy again.

24. Who was the joker of the group and why?

Probably Joey or Kev. Joey was just stupid with some of the things he did and Kev was always up for the banter!

25. Are there any secrets you can spill about the contestants?

Em, secrets? Let’s see…I think Joey done something over there…yeah, he was gelling his hair and used moisturiser instead!

26. As with all interviewees, we’re going to ask you to wrap up here by telling us a clean joke.

I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it – it was a shiatsu!

No comments:

Post a Comment