Sunday, May 10, 2015

Went out for a friend's birthday, ended up in a burlesque show.

You couldn't make it up, really. My friend Steo Moran was celebrating his quarter-of-a-century birthday on Saturday night (not half-century, as his mother Carol mistakenly thought), so we went to the Sugar Club venue on Lower Leeson Street to see a show by The Burlesque & Cabaret Social Club.

Steo's girlfriend Bróna Keegan is usually part of the show too, but little did I realise that with her having the night off, I'd have more of a role in the show than she did!

Myself, another of our friends, Simon Yeates (better known as Pajo) and his girlfriend Erika White were chatting near the bar during the show's interval when we were approached by a seemingly drunk American woman. We had no idea who this was until she told us her name was Peggy.

She was very complimentary toward us lads, inquiring of Erika, "Is one of them yours?" Erika, with credit to her quick wit, told her that Pajo and I were something of an item. That went down a treat considering the goal of the show on the night was to raise money for the 'YES Equality' campaign ahead of the marriage referendum on May 22nd - the show raised €1,600 in total for the cause.

Overall, after our chat with Peggy ended, I thought she seemed harmless - just another person enjoying the show. It didn't take me too long to figure that I'd been had (not in that way). Once I saw her take to the stage later in the night to rapturous applause, I rationalised that there was a 79% chance that myself and Pajo would end up there with her.

However, as her act went on, I gradually forgot about it...until Pajo turned around to me, hands on face in a spontaneously comical tribute to Edvard Munch's 'The Scream', and said: "OH FUCK." I looked past him and could see Peggy on the stage, left hand over her eagle-eyes locked in the general direction of where we had been chatting earlier.


Pajo's face when he heard our names being called by Peggy Sue.
With little option, we gave the people what they wanted. We took to the stage and gave them a burlesque show they would never forget (they probably will, but fuck it, myself and Pajo won't forget it in a hurry!). 

Once we got up there, Peggy Sue explained to us our roles in her next act - I realised then that upper body strength was a prerequisite of participation, one Peggy assumed I had but not one I'd say I possess in abundance. "Fran's gonna crumble!" somebody yelled from the crowd. It was Steo, who unknowingly had just agreed with me.

When she asked us to turn our backs to the audience with whom she was engaging, myself and Pajo began a quick discourse on how we were probably going to be inadvertently responsible for this woman's death. When she came back to us, she said something along the lines of "Just follow my instructions..." 

Pajo (in the white) and myself mid-instruction from Peggy Sue. She lived, thankfully. Credit: a photographer named Hector (photos from the BCSC Facebook page).

I found this to be a funny phrase because, despite being right beside Peggy for the duration of the act, it was too loud to hear her when she spoke into the microphone. At the end of the whole thing, we had her in a perfect position for Pajo to play her arse like a set of bongos.

Apparently this was actually her intention - she wanted Pajo to bongo her arse. She was screaming it into her microphone and the audience was screaming it at us, but we couldn't make out what was being said by anybody. It was all just noise.

"What do we do?!" I said. "Just keep spinning her around!" was Pajo's reply. So we did that for a second until we realised that the microphone wire would have wrapped itself around us and surely would have led to a horrible, life-altering accident. In the end, Peggy survived the stage with us and I felt we acquitted ourselves quite well on our burlesque debut.

But don't take my word for it, check out the extended highlights of our performance below, as recorded by a drunken Steo. For your viewing pleasure, Peggy Sue & The Litigations!


Savage night last night some amazing performers, great mates and a few drinks before both carol and I were brought on stage for the whole audience to sing happy birthday (thanks again Phil TGorgeous ha ha) before Fran Reilly and Pajo where drag on stage to make their burlesque debut (don't worry I got it all on very drunk vide
Posted by Steo Mor on Sunday, 10 May 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment