Thursday, August 6, 2015

For Extratime.ie: Signing for Bray a "no-brainer" says Cherrie

After a stint in the Irish Premiership with Cliftonville, former Dundalk goalkeeper Peter Cherrie is delighted to be back in the League of Ireland with Bray Wanderers having arrived at the Carlisle Grounds during the July transfer window. 

With regular number one Stephen McGuinness sidelined at the end of June with a broken finger, Bray boss at the time Trevor Croly moved to bring in an experienced alternative and secured the signature of Cherrie – with the Wicklow club officially announcing the signing on the same day as news of Croly's resignation was breaking.

While the former Shamrock Rovers manager began the turnaround of the club's on-field fortunes, Cherrie has played a pivotal part in helping Bray maintain an upward curve under the latest man to take the helm at the Carlisle, Mick Cooke.

And despite the off-field issues dogging the club this season, the Scottish stopper said that once the offer to sign for Bray materialized, there was only one decision he was going to make.

“Yeah, I'm enjoying it,” Cherrie told Extratime.ie after last week's 1-0 defeat to Dundalk. “I had that spell up in Belfast, but then when Trevor was here he contacted me and asked if I'd like to come over and it was a no-brainer. The missus is from Dundalk and she's happy to be back close to home, so that's good.

“Don't get me wrong, I mean, Trevor brought me over and then a day or two later I hear he's gone and I thought, 'What's gone on?' But at the end of the day I've just got to train. If they want to sign me, they sign me. If they don't, okay, best of luck to them, you move on and see what happens from there. But they did sign me and Mick's come in and everything's going good.


Continue reading my interview with Peter Cherrie on Extratime.ie.

No comments:

Post a Comment