Saturday, December 20, 2008

Myriads in the Dublin Scene - a college assignment from 2008

Now this takes me back...

Once upon a time, I studied Journalism in DCU. I did okay, but News Design was never one of my strongest modules, it has to be said. Given that the module was centred around using a computer programme called InDesign to create page layouts for newspaper/magazines, it was only natural that the final assignment for that module would be to create a newspaper/magazine from scratch (although, if memory serves, I believe we could also have recreated an existing newspaper/magazine using InDesign).

I was just going through some college folders on an old USB tonight and laughing at some of the woeful essays I produced when I stumbled across my glorious creation: Myriads in the Dublin Scene, a would be independent music magazine based on music in Dublin (really it was just a magazine filled largely with blogposts I had already written about a number of my friends' bands at the time). Some of the 'contributors' include household names like Frances Really, Fran Franderson, Paul Avery II, Theobald Wolfgang and former journeyman footballer DJ Campbell.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ONLY EVER ISSUE OF MYRIADS IN THE DUBLIN SCENEhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DzLt6ZvkzQVkk3LXBBMWlYck0

The one thing I am somewhat proud of is that I managed to fill the 20 pages with stuff I mostly wrote myself - content wasn't necessary for the assignment as it was all about the design element. With that in mind, I have no idea how I passed News Design because what I created was atrocious to look at! The title and font choice were both derived from my personal blog of the time, Myriads in the Shimmering Trees, which itself was derived from a Wilfred Owen poem. 

Neither worked well for a would-be edgy music magazine, and given that my photoshopping was horrific and that  I spent much of my time back then thinking I was the next Paul Morley (this is particularly, painfully evident in the final paragraphs of my Final Word column where I borrowed his "And so" phrase for dramatic effect), the whole thing looks and reads like a disaster. So, of course, when I rediscovered this the first thought I had was to share it with the entire world! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment