Thursday, October 31, 2013

For loi19.com: Emergency Sam on call for Pat's

St. Patrick’s Athletic midfielder Sam Verdon can count himself amongst an exclusive club which includes Republic of Ireland internationals past and present, Niall Quinn and John O’Shea.

Since signing for the Inchicore club at the beginning of last season, Verdon has deputised in goal on four separate occasions – twice this season and twice last season, with the appearances coming in quick-succession in both campaigns. He has even replicated a feat of Quinn’s by saving a penalty moments after putting on the ‘keeper’s jersey.

“He [Alan Browne, then of Cork City] put it at a decent height, and because I’m 6’2, when I dive I wouldn’t have to stretch that much,” Verdon told loi19.com

“I got a stronger hand to it this time and pushed it out, but when I hit the ground after saving it, it felt like it took me 10 minutes to get back up! I had a dead leg as well, but thankfully Ste Dunne beat the Cork players to the loose ball to clear it away. I just looked to the lads on the bench and we all started laughing!”


Continue reading my interview with Sam Verdon on loi19.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment